Sean C. Smith, BSc, MD, FRCSC, is a board certified Plastic Surgeon specializing in surgical and non-surgical care of the face, breast and body. Dr. Smith is certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario for independent practice in Plastic Surgery.
Patients expecting the highest quality of care can find Dr. Smith’s office located at The Ottawa Clinic. He holds full hospital privileges at the Queensway Carleton Hospital and the Carleton Place District Memorial Hospital as well as courtesy privileges at The Ottawa Hospital.
Dr. Smith is committed to professional development and lifelong learning and is accredited through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada’s Maintenance of Certification Program.
Dr. Smith’s patients can expect the most current advice and surgical practices. He teaches state-of-the-art surgical techniques to the University of Ottawa Plastic Surgery Residents and lectures at the University of Ottawa Plastic Surgery Residency seminar series. He is also an instructor at the annual Canadian Plastic Surgery Chief Resident Review Course.
Dr. Smith takes a four-step approach to providing exceptional care for his patients:
- First, he will listen and discuss your hopes and concerns. There can never be too much communication when it comes to planning your surgical or non-surgical procedure.
- Second, he will perform a complete examination and provide his suggested operative or non-operative plan. He will discuss the risks and benefits of all options and spend as much time as you need answering all of your questions.
- Third, with a meticulous surgical technique, an artistic eye and attention to detail, he will perform your procedure. Above all else, your safety is the priority.
- Finally, he will provide compassionate post-surgical care for as long as necessary. Dr. Smith will always make himself available for questions or concerns.
Dr. Smith aims to provide the highest standards of care to all of his patients. In addition to offering exceptional care regarding aesthetic surgery of the face, breast and body, his Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery practice includes skin cancer surgery, hand surgery, craniofacial trauma surgery, reconstructive surgery of the breast, trunk, face, upper & lower limbs and minor burn care.
Dr. Smith completed his five-year Plastic Surgery Residency at The University of Ottawa. During his time as a surgical resident, he received the Outstanding Resident Teaching – Best Resident Teacher Award presented at the University of Ottawa – Collins Surgical Day in 2012.
Following his Residency, he spent an extra year of training completing two additional clinical Fellowships to further his expertise in the field of Plastic Surgery. His Plastic Surgery fellowships include:
University of British Columbia – Clinical Fellowship in Aesthetic Surgery and Comprehensive Breast Surgery. Under the guidance of Dr. Brian Peterson, Dr. Smith acquired advanced knowledge and experience in breast surgery (breast augmentation, breast lift, and breast reduction), body contouring (mini-abdominoplasty, full abdominoplasty, extended abdominoplasty, brachioplasty, and high definition liposuction) and facial surgery (facelift, necklift, rhinoplasty, and eyelid surgery).
University of Ottawa – Clinical Fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery. Under the guidance of Dr. Daniel Peters, Dr. Smith acquired advance skills in functional rhinoplasty, adult craniofacial trauma reconstruction, head and neck skin cancer reconstruction and pediatric craniofacial surgery.
Dr. Smith obtained his License to Practice Medicine from the Medical Council of Canada in 2010 and obtained his Doctor of Medicine from SABA University. He earned his undergraduate Bachelor of Science, Specialization in Cell and Molecular Biology from Concordia University.
Dr. Smith is a member of the following medical organizations:
- Canadian Medical Association
- Ontario Medical Association
- Academy of Medicine of Ottawa
- National Capital Plastic Surgery Society
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Licensed by the Medical Council of Canada
Dr. Smith enjoys a variety of outdoor sports such as alpine ski racing, rock climbing, white water kayaking, mountain and road biking, water skiing and golf. He is a CSCF Level II Ski Coach and CSIA Level II Ski Instructor. Above all, Dr. Smith is a proud father and husband. He lives with his wife and two sons in Ottawa’s west end.
Please contact The Ottawa Clinic at your convenience by calling (613) 729-1616 to schedule a consultation with Sean C. Smith, BSc, MD, FRCSC.