Even with proper diet and exercise, you may find stubborn fat deposits on areas like the hips, flanks, or stomach that won’t seem to budge. While many people choose liposuction to effectively contour these areas, others often wish for a less invasive method for achieving a toned body. In response to this, our team at The Ottawa Clinic is pleased to offer the state-of-the-art solution of CoolSculpting® as a non-surgical body contouring technique.
FDA- and Health Canada-Approved as a safe and effective fat reduction method, CoolSculpting® is an attractive option for treating localised fat deposits that have not responded to a healthy lifestyle. The advanced technology actually freezes fat cells in the trouble area through a process called Cryolipolysis®. This cold energy system is designed to specifically address fatty tissue without harming the surrounding tissue. Over the course of a couple months, the fatty tissue gradually breaks down and is naturally eliminated through the metabolic process. For beautiful results in half the time, we also offer DualScultping which allows our plastic surgeon directed team to treat two areas at the same time. We are the only plastic surgeon led CoolSculpting practice in Ottawa, which gives us an extra level of expertise when directing your procedure.
To learn if CoolSculpting® is right for you, please contact us to set up your consultation.
Ideal CoolSculpting® candidates will already be at or near their ideal weight with specific areas of isolated fat. Since certain areas of the body are more prone to accumulate excess fat deposits, men and women who eat a healthy diet and regularly exercise may become frustrated by these areas that are resistant to traditional methods of weight loss. Common areas of concern shared by CoolSculpting® candidates can include:
- Flanks (love handles)
- Lower back
- Upper arms
During the consultation process, you will be assessed by our team through a physical examination, at which time your doctor will discuss your goals and determine if CoolSculpting® can meet your expectations. Our plastic surgeons are happy to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have at this time.
Potential candidates should note that CoolSculpting® is not intended as an alternative to weight loss. CoolSculpting® is best used to augment diet and exercise efforts, providing the “finishing touches” to a patient’s hard work and diligence, ultimately revealing a more contoured silhouette.
The CoolSculpting® Procedure
When you come in for your procedure, you will sit or lie down in a chair, at which time the device is placed over the target area. Your fatty tissue will then be suctioned between two cooling plates as the treatment begins. It is normal to experience some discomfort in the form of pulling or tugging, but this is typically minimal and should only last about 5 to 10 minutes until the area goes numb from the cold temperature. The entire process takes approximately one hour to complete.
If you have more than one area you would like treated, such as both hips or flanks, we can utilise what is referred to as DualSculpting, or Dual CoolSculpting®. This option entails using two separate machines to simultaneously treat the target areas, reducing your treatment time to half.
Popular areas treated with CoolSculpting® include the abdomen, flanks, back, and thighs. There is no downtime after your procedure, allowing you to return to your normal activities immediately.
The CoolAdvantage™ Applicator
Patients can now treat larger areas of their body with the CoolSculpting® CoolAdvantage™ applicator. This single applicator accepts three different contouring pieces to address your unique needs. The CoolCore Advantage™ can be used on the abdomen, the CoolCurve+ Advantage™ is designed for the flanks, and the CoolFit Advantage™ can be used on the inner thighs. Treatments with this newly designed applicator offer unique benefits, including enhanced patient comfort and a much shorter treatment time.
The CoolMini™ Applicator
For smaller areas with stubborn fat, we offer CoolSculpting® using the CoolMini™ applicator. This is an attachment that allows us to reduce unwanted fat that develops under the chin, as armpit bulges, and around the knees. This CoolMini™ tool has proven to be just as effective as other CoolSculpting® applicators but offers new treatment opportunities in hard-to-reach places.
Liposuction vs. CoolSculpting®
While CoolSculpting® and liposuction can both effectively contour areas of the body with excess fat, these two procedure have several key differences for patients to consider:
- Surgery vs. Non-surgical Procedure: Though liposuction is considered a minimally invasive procedure, it is still a surgery that requires some recovery and downtime. CoolSculpting® is a non-invasive procedure that requires no incisions, anesthesia, or recovery time. For patients who want to reduce excess fat without the associated risks or downtime of surgery, CoolSculpting® may be the better option.
- Degree of Fat Removal: On average, CoolSculpting® can reduce excess fat by 20-30% with one treatment session. Patients who wish for even greater fat reduction may require multiple CoolSculpting® treatment sessions or consider liposuction to achieve their goals in a single procedure.
- Fat Distribution: For patients with fat evenly distributed across the target area, a single CoolSculpting® session can effectively contour the body. Patients who have irregular fat distribution may better benefit from strategically positioned liposuction.
- Time: Depending upon the patient’s unique needs and expectations, liposuction may be a more time-efficient body sculpting method. Patients with thicker layers of fat may find multiple CoolSculpting® treatments are necessary to attain their desired results. Conversely, for patients treating multiple body areas in one session, liposuction can be completed in less overall time than CoolSculpting®.
- Timing of Results: The results of liposuction can be seen almost immediately after the procedure. The final outcome of a CoolSculpting® treatment may take several weeks to become fully visible as the targeted cells are metabolized out of the body.
To learn if CoolSculpting® can help you reach your aesthetic goals, please contact The Ottawa Clinic to schedule your consultation.